Disc Protrusion - Are You Kidding me?


About two months ago an orthopedist diagnosed me with a
disc protrusion. And you know what I thought? I thought: what the heck is a disc protrusion? Then I went searching the internet for every information I could get on disc protrusions.

After a while I thought my head was going to explode from all the info you can get on this stuff. And guess what, I also found out about herniating and bulging discs, disc desiccation, pinched and trapped nerves and all kinds of crazy stuff like that.

Anyway, so in order to keep my head from exploding (and make something meaningful out of my newly acquired knowledge) I decided to start acting like a pro, talk about it, make this blog and write some other stuff and see what happens. So here I am, this is my very first post and I can't wait to see what happens...

For the sake of completeness, I should mention that this was orthopedist number 4 I went to within the last two years and a half. Of course I didn't tell him what the other three guys have found out before him, hehe. That was a lesson I had learned some time before: never tell your doctor what the other doctors found out! I didn't even tell him that I had consulted others before.

Now, I wouldn't say that the other doctors were wrong. I actually think that they were all right, I just think that if I would have told him (the last one), that he would have focused on the same things the others said and maybe he wouldn't have found the disc protrusion.

Now let me summarize what I think:

I think that all these things in my sick back (the scoliosis, the shortened back muscle and the stiff thoracic spine) are somehow related to each other! And I finally really understood what this pain is all about. I discovered that they all have the same root cause, which is a muscle imbalace in my back. The only way I can finally get rid of this pain is by taking care of that.

I'll talk about that in my next post...

Here are some useful links about the different types of disc protrusion:

Foraminal Disc Protrusion
Central Disc Protrusion
Focal Disc Protrusion
Broad Based Disc Protrusion
Posterior Disc Protrusion
What is a Disc Protrusion